I am currently across the country, back in California, though much farther south than my prior home, conferencing with my “people” (PM&R is the BEST medical specialty, hands down), and lightening the mood with Sky-Girl and the sister-in-law. Me and Sky-Girl, Miss Squirrel Girl, I-just-can’t-stop-moving, flying across the country on a non-stop flight….now is the time for some alcohol.
This is the Cosmopolitan from the Left Bank Brasserie in Menlo Park, CA captivated me just before we moved away. This is my adaptation, a little lighter on the alcohol, no foam, and a change for pomegranate juice instead of the cranberry juice. Excuse me while I have a drink. No more talking. Back to “work.” Get yer own.
This is heavily adapted from The Left Bank Brasserie.
- 1 ounce vodka (The original recipe calls for mandarin-flavored vodka. Use that if you can find it.)
- 1 ounce triple sec, Cointreau, or Grand Mariner
- juice from a small lime
- 1 ounce ginger simple syrup (Recipe: Use 3 fingers of fresh ginger, grate half if it and slice the other half into coins. Add to saucepan with 2 cups of sugar and 2 cups of water. Bring to boil to dissolve sugar and immediately turn off. Allow to sit for about 1 hour at least. Strain into glass jar. Squeeze in the juice of 1 lemon. Chill overnight. You will have extra syrup for other cocktails or sodas.)
- a large splash of pomegranate juice
- lime zest, for garnish if desired
- Pour all ingredients (except for lime zest) into martini shaker with ice. Shake, and serve in a chilled glass. Top with lime zest.